The way I see hypnosis & NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) is firstly and most importantly being able to comfortably go to the encounter of the unconscious in a safe space. Every step of the way you are in charge of everything that happens within a session and the one and only intention of the practitioner is to kindly support you and guide you.
You are the pilot and the practitioner is your co-pilot.
Looking at the map to help clean, change, transform any system that is not optimal anymore. The unconscious mind is basically the best friend, the protector. So, at certain points in time, it created, always with a positive intention, a certain behavior, a certain belief etc. to help face a situation.
It is essential to understand that the practitioner will establish a collaboration with the conscious and unconscious minds through certain techniques to help reprogram these behaviors so they serve again the highest good.
I studied Ericksonian Hypnosis from Dr. Milton H. Erickson. Erickson did not really have any protocols or techniques which I love! He basically tuned in with his intuition and then synchronized himself with the patient to follow the story that was going to unfold during the session and be able to assist the “patient” into finding the solutions to the challenge that had been expressed.
Erickson had several students closed to him who then worked on creating the protocols so now Ericksonian hypnosis can be taught and the practitioners follow the protocoles (in addition to their own intuition of course) while practicing hypnosis.
In an hypnosis session, you will be seated in a chair or a sofa and be accompanied in a secure altered state of consciousness enabling you to access certain pieces of information and resources thanks to the connection to the unconscious mind that will be established.
I have myself trained and practice hypnosis at the NLP Center of New York. The training I received there was a very therapeutic oriented training, to support people in their healing journey with a very genuine and pure intention. My practice has evolved a lot, letting mostly my intuition and highest guidance as well as my psychic abilities take the lead and follow the journey of the person I’m supporting, letting them find their own solutions and create the safest space for this to happen. While training in hypnosis, I received countless healings and blessings. For me, this method is absolutely brilliant and help go very deep in the unconscious and understand better the programs, patterns, behaviors I have established within myself since birth, hence know myself more and first and foremost heal these patterns that don’t serve my highest good anymore.
There are other kinds of hypnosis methods, such as humanist hypnosis founded by Olivier Lockert, which I find also very interesting. As well as spiritual hypnosis, like Dolores Cannon, past-life regressionist and hypnotherapist, that allows a deeper work with the Higher Self (or soul) this time.
I have received a humanist hypnosis session from a friend and it felt a little different from the Ericksonian approach mostly on the first minutes of the session, while doing the induction (the process undertook by the practitioner to induce the altered state of consciousness or transe state). In Ericksonian hypnosis, my feeling is that I usually go inward and down, deeper in my unconscious, while in this session of humanist hypnosis, we were going high, high, high into the cosmos. In both sessions, once I reached the altered state of consciousness enabling me to access certain pieces of information and resources hidden in my unconscious, we could then work on unlocking or reprogram these “negative” patterns or any other work that needed to be done.
John Grinder and Richard Bandler are the founder of the NLP. Being good friends with Erickson, they actually studied and analyzed Erickson’s (non) technique to create NLP. For me, NLP is a beautiful way to attain the same results as with hypnosis but in a more “dynamic” way and also to help create a better communication with the external environment and within the self. It allows to experiment different states of consciousness through guided steps into different positions within a safe space. Indeed, the receiver will be moving from one position to another, guided to reach their goal as each of these positions will be a bridge to cleaning and transforming while creating a mindful connection between unconscious and conscious minds.
Basically, in hypnosis, the altered state of consciousness and the whole session happen in a chair in a kind of “static” posture, while in NLP, the body will be an important tool in the process, since there are mostly practices that involve physical movements.
ASSUMPTIONS OF ERICKSONIAN HYPNOSIS
- We have within us all the resources we need to developmentally meet our next challenge.
- We can transform any experience into a positive learning experience.
- Each of us is a unique individual.
- Resistance is feedback. It lets us know how to more effectively pace another person’s model of the world.
- Our attempted solution is the problem.
- At every moment, we are making the best choice available to us given our current state of consciousness, our current set of experiences and our current set of learning.
- Every behavior has or has had a positive intention.
- The purpose of hypnosis is to expand our range of expression.
- The purpose of trance is let go of the rigidity that is keeping us from tapping into a deeper intelligence.
- Hypnosis is a process of amplification and a tool to help us change our state of consciousness.
- Trance is a naturally occurring state.
- Trance is a state in which we stop trying.
NLP BASIC PRESUPPOSITIONS
- The meaning of your communication is the response you get—no matter what your intentions are.
- There is no such thing as failure, only feedback.
- Each of us has the resources to meet our next developmental challenge.
- Every behavior is motivated by a positive intention (a purpose).
- Every behavior (internal and external), every symptom, and every communication is useful and meaningful in some way (in some context).
- The Map is not the Territory
WHAT CAN HYPNOSIS AND NLP HELP YOU WITH?
- Emotional Pain
- Smoking Cessation
- Weight Control
- Habit Elimination
- Pain Control
- Time Management
- Negative Self Talk
- Self Sabotage
- Lack of Self Esteem
- Improve Communication
- Post traumatic stress disorders
I can only recommend warmly to use these methods for any self-development work.